12.24.2008

The one that made me cry

So I've been on the lookout for this rather old anime called the Rose of Versailles. I came across the name a few years ago in a library copy of manga and art. I read it, but it wasn't even an entire volume, so I have been searching a translated version since then. I have been able to find the manga of Versailles, however they're all in Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I love the Japanese language and I do pretty well in it myself, but having to translate at least 5 versions on the manga that I've been able to track down so far is a feat. So when I found the anime on Kumby.com, I nearly freaked out. Scared my co-worker, too. 40 episodes, 40 glorious episodes depicting the start of the French Revolution, Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI and a new character, Oscar Francois de Jarjayes. Oscar is really the main character of the anime and you're gradually sucked into her life as a military officer at such a young age and being there from the start of Antoinette's reign as Queen. As the anime continues, it gets sadder and sadder. The French people start to hate the monarchy, Oscar falls for the same guy that the Queen loves, and just the overall fact of a woman living as a man and commanding a regiment of the French Army, is a powerful storyline. Trust me, this is a great series and yes.....it made me cry. The last few episodes are a tearjerker. You have been warned, babies. 


And while you're on Kumby, check out Golden Boy. One of my friends at work have been nagging at me to watch it. It's a pretty good small series and the main character, Kintaro, is seriously messed up in the head, but he's funny and the series is pretty cute. 

Alright, babies, get at your Chick when you can. Oh, and also, Oni-Con staff.....do better next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment